PICASSO Sculpture - (Manhattan, NY)



Picasso at Nasher Scupture Center (Dallas, TX)
(Manhattan, NY) - Earlier this year I visited the Nasher Sculpture Center in Dallas and ran across a sculpture by one of my favorite painters, Pablo Picasso.  Before seeing this, I wasn't even aware that Picasso was a sculpture in addition to being one of the most celebrated painters in history.  Fast forward a few months and I was lucky enough to be in New York City the weekend of the opening of a brand new, once-in-a-lifetime exhibit of Pablo's sculptures.

As a member of the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in Manhattan I was privileged to attend the first members-only showing of Picasso Sculpture the Sunday before it opened to the public.  What I found in these works of art is the creativity, genius and confidence you find in Pablo Picasso's paintings. The sculptures in the exhibition cover a wide-range of materials, themes and periods of Pablo's life.  Pioneering and out-of-the box, the sculptures paved the way for many artists who would come after Picasso that wanted to create works that were not just stuck in tradition.  Picasso was truly a master.  If this were a permanent collection I would assuredly visit it time and time again.


Here are a few photos from my visit but please visit this exhibit in person so you can see many more pieces than that are not shown here and enjoy them in their full form.  Picasso Sculpture runs at MoMA from September 14, 2015–February 7, 2016.













Just for fun, you can play Name the Artist in the comment section below from these images I snapped after leaving the sculpture exhibit.

Artist 1

Artist 2

Artist 3

Artist 4

Artist 5

Comments