A Developing Downtown Dallas

(Pioneer Plaza - Downtown Dallas)
(Dallas, TX) - I've always thought of Dallas as an amazing city, but on my latest trip I spent most of my time really getting to know Downtown Dallas for the first time. 

Like in most major cities, officials and developers in Dallas are also looking to attract new residents and bring some of the suburban population back to the city's core. The greater Dallas area and suburbs have quite a bit to offer, but the downtown area is really taking a step forward.  This was evidenced in the three areas I was in during my latest trip (South Side, Deep Ellum and the Dallas Arts District.)
 
SOUTH SIDE
This was my first time in this part of town, but it was easy to see the Dallas South Side is undergoing a major re-development.  After a little research I found that to aid in the area's development, The South Side Public Improvement District was created in 2005 and is managed by South Side Quarter Development Corporation to enhance the design, safety and infrastructure of the district.  Within the boundaries of this district there are many residential, commercial and community projects underway. The hotel where I stayed, NYLO Dallas South Side, was formerly the Dallas Coffin Co. and sits next door to another re-developed property, South Side on Lamar. This is a multi-tenant residential property that was repurposed from its original use as a Sears Catalog Merchandise Center. 

There was some new construction going on but most of the development I saw involved rehabilitation of the older and historic buildings like the NYLO hotel. The NYLO describes itself as - "a boutique hotel designed with a passion for art, music, and the environment."  With the exposed brick, concrete floors and the building's industrial look, you get the feeling you are more in a New York loft apartment than a hotel.  The Terrace Suite at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas withstanding, this has probably been my favorite room to stay in while traveling. The super high ceilings, spaciousness, historic feel and colorful décor made the room feel like my own private loft as opposed to a guest room for a night. I also had a clear view of Downtown Dallas through one of the room's four large windows.  The lobby décor was just as pleasant and the hotel staff was extremely attentive and helpful.  The only addition to my room I would have liked would been that of a mini-fridge and microwave, but it was by no means a deal-breaker.
 

 


 


 


I actually found the hotel by looking for rooftop restaurants to dine in while in town.  The Terrace Bistro and Soda Bar on the roof of the NYLO gave just the experience I had in mind when searching for a place to relax that evening.  The bistro featured a bar, an infinity pool, fire pit, and terrace dining with a fantastic view of downtown. I had a few issues with my order but the Food and Beverage manager went out of his way to correct everything, so no harm no foul. All in all, I definitely recommend staying at this hotel even if you skip the restaurant.

 



DEEP ELLUM
I watch the Travel Channel and Food Network often to look for interesting places to eat and visit, so I decided to try Pepes & Mitos which I saw on an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.  Their motto is It's not "Tex-Mex", It's "Mex-Tex..." putting a little more Mex influence in their food.  Pepes & Mitos is located in Deep Ellum which is an  Arts & Entertainment district that has battled a bad reputation in recent years but appears to be making a comeback.  The area is just minutes from the heart of downtown and was full of street crews installing landscapes around newly rebuilt curbs and sidewalks.  There were dozens of restaurants and venues which I'm sure when lit up and combined with more pedestrian traffic make for an interesting night life scene.

When in Texas I usually look to try their famous Tex-Mex or BBQ.  However, I've been a pescatarian for several months now, so instead of BBQ I thought Pepes & Mitos might have enough options for me to find something interesting that fit into my diet. I chose a couple of dishes off the menu and the staff was good enough to substitute shrimp for the beef or chicken.  My two Shrimp Tacos and Tacos Norteños were delicious!  I just wish I had room to try a more off the menu. The place itself was nothing fancy but was clean and comfortable with an outdoor area. I had no complaints at all, so Pepes & Mitos is definitely another place I would recommend.



 



DALLAS ARTS DISTRICT
The real highlight of my trip turned out to be my visit to the Dallas Arts District. As an Art lover, I really can't say enough about this area.  The Dallas Arts District is described as the largest contiguous urban art district in the nation.  The district is a 19-block, 68.4-acre neighborhood in the northeast part of Downtown Dallas. It's wealth of museums and galleries, some of which designed by award-winning architects, makes the district one of the top destinations for anyone interested in visual and performance arts.  The district includes residential living and many dining options, as well.

Just some of the things you can look forward to when visiting the area include the AT&T Performing Arts Center, Belo Mansion, Booker T Washington School for the Visual and Performing Arts, Cathedral Shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe, Dallas Black Dance Theatre, Dallas Museum of Art, Klyde Warren Park, Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center, Nasher Sculpture Center, One Arts Plaza and The Perot Museum of Nature and Science. I wanted to go to each of these places, but with time constraints I had to settle for spending most of my time in the district at the Nasher Sculpture Center and Klyde Warren Park.

Klyde Warren Park serves as a central gathering space for Dallas and its visitors. The 5.2-acre deck park, designed by The Office of James Burnett, is an urban green space built over the recessed Woodall Rodgers Freeway between Pearl and St. Paul streets in downtown Dallas. Klyde Warren Park will be a highly active space, providing daily free programming for the public ranging from yoga to book signings to outdoor concerts and films. The park is privately operated and managed by the Woodall Rodgers Park Foundation.  While I was there, it was just a point to relax, watch the many people walking by, playing in the open field or hitting one of the several food trucks.

The Nasher Sculpture Center opened in 2003 as the first institution in the world dedicated exclusively to the exhibition of modern and contemporary sculpture with a collection of global significance at its foundation. Designed by Pritzker Prize-winning architect Renzo Piano in collaboration with landscape architect Peter Walker, the 55,000-square-foot-building and 1.4-acre sculpture garden occupy a city block in the heart of the Arts District. The Nasher Sculpture Center is the realization of the long-held dream of the late Raymond and Patsy Nasher to establish a public home for their extraordinary collection. I was fortunate to see the exhibition, Five Decades - Lynch Fragments by artist Melvin Edwards, on display during my visit to the center.  I included a few photos from the exhibition which is an ongoing series of small-scale reliefs begun in Los Angeles in the early 1960s and born out of the social and political turmoil of the civil rights movement. I would advise to do your own research on this artist and check out his work in person.

Trust me when I say the culture, history, art and entertainment in the district are enough to fill a trip on it's own. So, if you visit Dallas and plan to go to the district be sure to allow yourself plenty of time to properly experience what it has to offer.



 


 

 

 






 

 
 

 

 


 
 
 

I've always been drawn to the climate in Dallas and it's flair for doing things Big. My next trip I'm looking forward to venturing out to the Old West side of Dallas for some horses and cattle rustling. Wish me luck!

 

Comments