Sweeney's Seafood Bar & Grill - (Centerville, OH)


(Centerville, OH) - A majority of my post end up coming from outside the 937 area code, but I'm always glad to add a review or photo journal from my hometown when I can. My visit to Sweeney's Seafood in Historic Downtown Centerville was very timely and much need after my recent trip to Sanibel Island, FL.  I can't expect Ohio seafood restaurants to quite live up to the ones in coastal towns, but although I visited on a cold, rainy evening I thought the building, décor and menu did a good job of providing an atmosphere reminiscent of a South Florida seafood shack.




Sweeney's is the second dining spot in a location that was converted from a post office and 10 cent store and has been in operation since 1994.  The seaside themed décor which includes several fish tanks, wooden chairs and lighted sails brings a Key West feel that will let you forget for a while that Ohio weather lurks outside.  The menu was full of all my favorites including raw oysters, fried calamari and a variety of seafood dinners that featured scallops, shrimp and fish.  I started with the Calamari Strips which had a light batter and mild flavor.  They were pretty good paired with the cocktail and tartar sauces.  For my entrée, I had the Pesto Scallops which while not terribly attractive, the quality and taste of the scallops made it well worth the price.  The Balsamic Syrup sauce drizzled on the dish was particularly delicious. The menu also features what they call 'Fish Frowners' which would basically includes steak and chicken for your lame friends who are not seafood lovers.  For me personally, Sweeney's menu is all I could hope for a 20 minute drive from home even though half a day's drive to the coast.  The mussels, coconut shrimp and flounder sandwich are just a few of the seafood delights I need to go back and try. My only complaint would be that their preparation of the Oysters Rockefeller and Creole Jumbo Shrimp & Grits prevents them from being able to serve them as Vegetarian meals.  I still maintain seafood in my diet but no beef, poultry or pork is on the menu for me.




Sweeney's has a separate bar area for folks just wanting to come in have a cocktail.  The restaurant and bar open at 4pm every day.  There is ample parking in the rear of the building and plenty of seating inside.  I somehow managed to pass by for years without really noticing the restaurant but I'll be back to try a several more items on the menu very soon!







Comments