Frank Lloyd Wright - Westcott House


(Springfield, OH) - Browsing through the Lifestyle section of the Dayton Daily News I was surprised to see a listing for a tour of a Frank Lloyd Wright designed house down the road in Springfield, Ohio.  It was a beautiful day, I already had the top down on the Jeep, so I didn't have much reason not to go, being an admirer of Frank Lloyd Wright's works for years.

Took the 45 minute drive to Springfield and was kind of surprised to find the house was in such a populated area of town, not far from downtown at all.  I picked a good day to go because due to there being a Solar House tour going on down the street they had special pricing for each.  Either tour was only $5. The Westcott House tour is normally $15 which I still wouldn't have minded paying at all.  I just basically used that extra $10 for gift shop purchases.

 

The tour consisted of a brief video presentation that shows some of the extensive renovations that went into bringing the house back to its original glory followed by some history from one of the docents.  You then take a tour through the home and garden and learn more about the Westcott family that commissioned the house and a bit about the time period and how houses were designed and people lived at that time.  I don't think photography was allowed inside the home and I didn't try as I think everyone should take the time to go see this interesting house in person, especially if you are a Frank Lloyd Wright fan or just interested in architecture or history.

 

Walk-ins are accepted but you are encouraged to call ahead for reservations.You can find more information about the home and tours here.

  

Comments

  1. There are several other Frank Lloyd Wright designed homes around Ohio and throughout the Unites States. I hope to visit several more over the next few years.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment