DOWN THE PCH - A Cool Ride Along California 1


Earlier this week, I flew into San Francisco to start my latest California trip.  I was going out initially just to attend the Los Angeles International Textiles Show, but I decided to add two other components.  The first was to visit one of my Dunbar High School classmates who has relocated to a Redwood forest near Santa Cruz. The second addition was to drive along the Pacific Ocean coastline down California 1, better known as the Pacific Coast Highway or the PCH.

SARANA PARK I've been to San Francisco a few times, so once I landed, I didn't waste any time sight-seeing there and hit the highway heading South.  This whole leg of the trip was about seeing the beauty of nature, and the scenery in this part of California doesn't disappoint. My friend Juko and her husband Jerry have a beautiful 23-acre forest that they have named Sarana Park just outside Santa Cruz.  It is very much under-construction but will eventually become a commune and a get-a-way for anyone seeking to clear their mind or just experience nature at its fullest.

During the construction phase, Juko and Jerry are currently set up in two Tiny Houses that I believe serve them well.  Don't tell them I told you, but I think they might be Hippies! Also, they are two of the coolest people and probably one of best couples you will ever meet. You can tell them that part!





 


Juko and Jerry, along with a couple of their dogs, took me hiking around the park and showed me some of the beautiful flora the forest has to offer, as well as, some wonderfully, unexpected views that went out as far as the Pacific.  I really look forward to coming back to Sarana Park to see how it turns out and hanging out with my good friends, again.


THE PCH So, after visiting at Sarana Park for a few hours, Juko and Jerry took me into downtown Santa Cruz and helped me map out my strategy for seeing the coast and reaching my final destination of Los Angeles.  I heard Santa Cruz has a cool boardwalk, but due to a few wrong turns by someone who will remain nameless, I only got to see the the top of the roller coaster, but I'm sure it really nice place.  I'll just catch it on the my next visit!

The PCH runs right through Santa Cruz, so that is where I officially began my road trip.  I had to do a good bit of driving before I reached those movie-esque views we've all seen, but once I did...Wow!  There are several places to stop along the road where you'll see many travelers getting out to take pictures or just to take in the magnificent views.  I was trying to do most of my driving before sunset, so I only got out once in the interest of time.  My goal was to make it to Cambria, CA before it got too late, but I still spent about an hour driving by one of the brightest moons I've ever seen.  Though it did feel a tad bit dangerous, the view of the surf coming in below illuminated by the moonlight was spectacular.  However, you could have played some romantic music or something from a horror film and they both would have been fitting (I watch a lot of movies!)  And just imagine no street lights, extremely tight turns and very high drop-off onto rocks and surf below.  I plan to make the drive again, so I can make the whole drive during the day and stop at more places I had to pass up like Big Sur.




CAMBRIA, CA After driving for a few hours, I reached my desitination for the evening of Cambria, California. I lucked up and picked a really nice place to spend the night called the El Colibri Hotel & Spa that was right off the PCH. I wasn't there long enough to make use of all their amenities but there was a Spa with two private treatment rooms, an outdoor Jacuzzi, two steam rooms and professional therapists for massages.  The room had a fireplace, separate shower and bath and really nice decor.  For the price, it was more than a pleasant surprise.

Now at the point I arrived, I was tired and hungry and ready to eat just about anything.  However, I have been observing Lent and not eating any meat, so I figured a cheese or veggie pizza would be an easy call.  I went to a place on the main road in town called J B J's Round-Up Pizza & Grub and ended up with a very delicious Greek pizza that almost didn't make it back to the hotel.

Although, it was dark when I arrived in Cambria and still dark in the morning when I left, I did spend a little time in town and got a really good feeling about the place.  Both the hotel and the pizza place get pins on my map for places to revisit.

LOS ANGELES I got a few good hours of rest then headed down to L.A. to complete my road trip.  After leaving Cambria, the ocean views are not quite the same, but I think I had my fill of tight turns by that point, too!  This part of the trip was mostly through the mountains, so it added some nice views as well, especially as the sun was rising.  

I think it wasn't until I got to Santa Barbara that I started to see any real traffic, and the traffic didn't help my cause because I really wanted to stop by Global Gardens which is owned by a former Dayton native.  I always like to support my fellow Daytonians no matter how far away they go.  From Santa Barbara, I continued on through Ventura, Camarillo and then eventually to the Los Angeles area.

Day 1 in L.A. was really about getting registered for the trade show and visiting a couple of places that I had heard good things about.  One was a Thai restaurant called Natalee Thai Cuisine and the other was a new hot spot in town called Xen Lounge

Breakfast in L.A. for me has come to mean Vivian's Cafe.  I always try something different and I always like what I try.  Also, it seems every time I go, there's always one or two interesting conversations going on around me about some movie being produced or some type of Hollywood drama playing out.  Maybe, it's because the place is in Studio City?


Lunch at Natalee Thai's was on point.  This was a new place for me, but I've heard good things about it in the past.  The place itself was very inviting and the food was delicious.  The neighborhood must be pretty nice, too because I accidentally sat on my keys and popped my truck, but somehow no one decided to free me of any of my belongings which were exposed to the world.

Dinner at Xen Lounge was not as eventful but just as interesting.  There was a live jazz band that night that kept things lively.  Also, Belvedere was having a sampling of one the menu drinks made at Xen with their vodka called the Bramble.  Xen is owned by married actors Duane Martin and Tisha Campbell whom both I had met many years ago.  They both spend a lot of time at the lounge, and I spent about a half an hour back in the VIP Dining area talking to Duane about fashion and sports that night.  He has a clothing line and has had a sport management agency for several years.  And No, the Real Husbands Of Hollywood didn't even come up.  At his suggestion, I came back on Day 2 and had the Mac & Cheese Cupcakes which were fantastic.  I'm glad I came back, both for the cupcakes and to experience their huge patio area which I will be spending a lot of time at during any visit to Los Angeles.




















Day 2 in L.A. was all about the Los Angeles International Textiles Show, so I spent most of my day in downtown L.A. near the California Market Center where the show was held.  My goals for attending the show were to make some contacts from the fabric manufacturing and wholesaler world and to get educated on the trends coming out in fashion for S/S14.  Mission Accomplished!



(The new king of L.A.?)






As usual, I had a great time in California.  Of course, I thoroughly enjoyed the weather and the views on this trip were the best, yet!  So, I'm sure in a few weeks or months I'll be saying 'California, here I come' once again.

Comments